Sunday 3 May 2009

Boudica, Manda Scott

A lovely wagging tail.

I found a new favourite. Manda Scott with her series for the Boudicia (Breaca) as the main figure of the story that runs over the span of four quite hefty books to my utter joy. Since my biggest problem is generally that after 400 pages it all ends. Quite abrupbly for my part. A normal size pocket book lasts no more than a couple of hours. With Boudicia I spent several days, almost two weeks - yeah I know, not my usual brisk pace, but i had to wait for them to get the "dreaming the hound" into the library - where I spent days in the smelly and rough suroundings of naturals, dreams, horses, hunting hounds and dust. Beeing stuck in central London where the only dog i'll get close to is the spoilt spaniel accross the road, the details of shaggy inteligent hunting hounds and horses was just what I needed.


Anyway, you get to follow a fictional and very detailed tale of Breaca from childhood, to woman. With all the inbetween. And it's a joy.
The series won the "big gay read" 2008, and it is quite underastandable, the storie revolves around same sex love in between most of the main figures. And it is gay love at its best. None of the sculking around or forbidden fruit picking. Love is shared because of respect and is viewed without eyebrow raising or snickering.

The full series is :
Dreaming the Eagle
Dreaming the Bull
Dreaming the Hound
Dreaming the Serpent Spear

Go find it, I'll be returning my copies to the library tomorrow.
Now I just have to find something else to grab my attention. Oy wei..

No comments:

Post a Comment